Eyelid surgery is one of the most rejuvenating procedures available. Since the eyes are one of the most expressive parts of our face and because people tend to look into each other’s eyes often when they speak, just improving the look of the eyes can have a dramatic effect on the look of the whole face. This can result in a very natural yet powerful facial rejuvenation.
This is why, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is among the top 5 procedures performed in all plastic surgery year after year.
With so many eyelid surgeries, why do we often see so many less than ideal results in the results of acquaintances and celebrities? Here are some of the more common problems encountered in traditional cosmetic eyelid surgery.
1) Eyelid surgery is performed to help the appearance of heavy upper eyelids when in fact the eyebrow is the main culprit in causing heavy eyelids to appear in many patients. This often results in a heavy and persistent appearance of the eyelid after the removal of the “extra eyelid skin”. In cases like this, a brow lift can be helpful in stabilizing or repositioning the forehead in the correct position, which can help uncover and lead to a more eye-opening appearance.
2) The lower eyelid bags are removed by passing through the skin and scarring occurs in the middle layer of the skin (orbital septum), which can bind the eyelid to the bone around the lower eyelid. This can result in both an aesthetic and structural problem in which the eyelid may appear uneven and the patient may be bothered by persistent eye irritation. This can be fixed by an eyelid surgery specialist, but the best option is to avoid this surgical approach and seek an eyelid specialist who can approach the lower lids from the back side of the eyelid. My preference is to operate in this way and then perform a separate procedure using lasers to tighten and rejuvenate the skin on the outside after improving the fullness on the inside of the eyelids.
3) A surgeon tries to help improve the appearance of the lower eyelid skin by pulling sun-damaged skin tighter to stretch wrinkles. This can lead to an aesthetically suboptimal result in which, although the fullness of the lower eyelid may have been improved, the skin conveys an inconsistency in the appearance of the lower eyelid. Here the fullness is improved, but it is inconsistent with the damaged skin overlying the previous fullness. This leads to subconscious disconnection in the person looking at someone who has had that result.
The way I prefer to help my patients is to provide a more complete rejuvenation and address both fullness from the back side of the eyelid and then improve the skin with a laser technique on the front side of the eyelid. This leads to beautiful, natural and complete lower eyelid rejuvenation.
4) Pulling out too much skin of the upper eyelid and causing problems with closing the eyelids. This is both an aesthetic and medical problem in which the Best doctor for eyelid surgery in San Diego eyes can impart a “fixation” quality and the eyes can suffer from dryness.
It is important that the surgeon has experience with the eyes to avoid this complication. Proper eye experience leads to a more natural and conservative approach when performing eyelid surgeries so that you don’t sacrifice your eyelid and eye function in an effort to get a better eyelid shape or appearance.
5) A patient has lower eyelid surgery where fat is aggressively removed from the lower eyelid resulting in a hollow appearance to the lower eyelid. These days, a good surgeon judiciously removes the fat and in some cases repositions the fat within the lower eyelid to give a more natural rejuvenation.